Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nostalgia and New 'Comm - Lecture Overviews Part 6

This week was all about free software and proprietary software (Microsfot, Apple). Creative Commons, responsible of creating and allowing 'free copyright' to construct most free software that is evident today. I found this lecture to be pretty relevant to my previous tutorial tasks, consisting of creating videos and slideshows with entirely our own non-copyright material.

It was an interesting connection that free software source code can be linked to as a recipe for creating your favourite food. Much like any recipe, there is much preparing and work to be done for it to be complete and, well... 'taste' great I suppose. Yea, not a good choice of words!

When you really think about it, should we be paying for operating systems? Many people, such as the man who created GNU (whose name has passed me for now) made a good point in a quote I remember, something like 'making operating systems like the old days when they were free'. Maybe people like Bill Gates saw just the right opportunity to capitalize upon the idea of selling his OS to people just when the public knew not much about it. Then again, there is a definite difference between proprietary software and the free kind; mostly experience and budget related. I guess you get what you pay for... I have been a keen Windows user for years now, way back when into the Windows '95 era with the DOS commands. I did install a special Linux onto my Ipod back in 2007 however, solely to play retro games like 'Doom' with no PC access. So I guess I could say I respect both forms of this software. I believe they all play a unique role in particular devices and technologies in some way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment